Monday, March 28, 2011

The Road to Motherhood: Part 2

A separation. A chance re-meeting of a handsome friend of a friend. Long chats and the discovery that we both want to be parents (amongst other common interests), a romance ensues. My divorce. His divorce, a whirlwind romance and overseas move that left shocked family and some shattered friendships in its wake. But what came of it was a wonderful marriage to my current and final husband and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

But still parenthood was apparently not just a matter of finding the right partner and forgoing birth control. Oh no couldn't be that simple for us.

In June of 2009 Charles and I were married and immediately started trying. When three months passed with no luck I started using a hormonal monitor, to make sure we were getting our timing right. (FYI...this strategy does not make for very romantic evenings) Still no luck after nine months and not being a very patient person and having already passed my 30th birthday by this point, I decide to see a doctor.

Well turns out doctors will not treat for infertility until you have tried for over a year. They did some basic blood tests to confirm hormone levels but then sent me on my way to return when a year had passed. After the year had passed and we had moved back to the States I was right back in a doctors office looking for answers. What could possibly be wrong with me. Had I made all these life changing decisions only to find out the catalyst was never even possible for me?

More poking and prodding and tests, and the doc suggests while they are running me through the ringer, they may as well check out my husband too, since after all the male is the other 50% of the equation. (Which you think would mean they would start with both spouses from the get go, but apparently women need more testing? Doesn't make much sense to me other than society simply being used to placing all responsibility for reproduction on us for some many millenia).

Well turns out a hernia surgery several years before threw up a barrier for my sweet husband's little swimmers and try as they might, they simply could not get past to assist in all our efforts.

But finally we had an answer and along with it a solution! IVF which stands for Invitro Fertilization. We shall make this baby with science! HUZZAH!

Even better, thanks to Charles' outstanding medical coverage through his company, the procedure is covered, which means we will not have to choose between a house or a child. Sweet!

Poor Hubby had to go in for a surgery. I also had a few more uncomfortable tests and exams before insurance was ready to give the greenlight for our first round of IVF. But it will all be worth it when I finally have a positive result on a pregnancy test, we are so close.

No comments: